I'm trying my damnedest to not
to think of those two bikes right now. The thought only consumes me and I begin to obsess...over the bike...over tris...over triathlon goal times (*cough*2:10*cough)...over the Danskin Women's event in WI that I likely won't participate in...and all that jazz that falls in between. Maybe part of me is trying to talk myself out
of the whole bike thing? More on that another day I guess...I'm still sorting it all out in my end, trying to weed through the "wahoo I'm getting a bike" excitement, and make sure that I'm doing the right thing. I feel like it's the right thing...but I'm second guessing myself.
Okay...so forget the traditional century ride. I'm taking you
on a century ride...
...a century ride of random things about me. Brace yourself...cause Here.We.Go!
1. My name was supposed to be Megan Kathleen.
2. Apparently, when I was born my parents thought I looked like a Barbara Lynne.
3. My Aunt Barbara is convinced I'm named after her. (Hmmm...not so much.)
4. I've only met one other Barbara my age...that was randomly in college in my Coms 130 class. We were both shocked that another young Barbara actually existed.
5. In college, I was in a sorority.
6. I should've been paying house bills to Mike's fraternity though.
7. Before our junior year in college, Mike and I played a joke on a friend and pretended to be dating.
8. Jokes on us...we eventually got married.
9. My favorite random fact about moi is that there's a photo of me crying in Rolling Stone
10. It was taken after the final Smashing Pumpkins concert in 12/2000 when the stage tech gave me MADM's set list.
11. Seven years later, I still adore the Smashing Pumpkins.
12. But I secretly love Justin Timberlake.
13. Sexy Back is my ringtone.
14. Tonight, Tonight is my cell phone alarm clock.
15. The processional at our wedding as an instrumental version of Tonight, Tonight.
16. I had to pull a fast one on the church for that...the priest never knew.
17. I'm terrible when it comes to calling people back...
18. ...and most days don't answer the phone.
19. I was a competitive cheerleader in high school.
20. Most people think of me as the anti
-cheerleader...you know, the know who makes fun of all the other cheerleaders.
21. You can still find me running around making up cheers.
22. When no one is home, I like to make up my own dance routines.
23. I was a ballet dancer for years until we moved to another state.
24. I've lived in Canada, Tennessee, New Jersey, Virginia, Kansas and Illinois...but in a total of 14 different "homes" (be it houses, apartments, dorms...)
25. I love the movie War Games. "...how about a nice game of chess?"
26. I can say with almost certainty that I know all of the lines in the movie Mean Girls.
27. Once I forgot the lines in a school play. Whoopsie! I was in 7th grade, so I don't really hold myself accountable.
28. When I can't find something that I've lost, I stand on a chair and look around the room.
29. My biggest pet peeves are people who can't walk in public, drivers who don't turn off their turn signal, drivers who don't use their turn signals, extremely poor grammar, and those damn e-mail forwards.
30. Guilty Pleasures? Well...cheerleading, JT and splurging at Cold Stone Creamery.
31. When I was little, I wanted to be an ice cream truck driver...then a marine biologist...then a teacher...then a magazine layout designer...and then a teacher again...
32. Somewhere along the way I ended up in PR/Corporate Communications.
33. I have a love/hate relationship with my job.
34. I'm pretty sure that my mom still
doesn't know exactly what I do every day.
35. I think the D*ck in a Box SNL sketch is by and far the funniest thing I've seen in a really long time.
36. Although the Spartan Cheerleader routines from SNL will always remain close to my heart. Taco! Burrito! What's that comin' outta your Speedo? We got troubles...WOO! You're blowin' bubbles...
37. When things are tidy and in order I can't find a damn thing...but when it's chaos, I know exactly where everything is.
38. I even have a stupid human trick...I can fold my tongue in half, front to back (bending at the halfway point)...and
make it stick...I've only met one other person who could do this.
39. My first paycheck came from working as a junior counselor at a summer day camp.
40. The kids drove me insane.
41. Along the way I've had a myriad of jobs...intern at the KC Star Newspaper, GAP sales associate, Cheerleading Coach, Teaching Assistant...the list goes on...but it's nothing super exciting.
42. On our first wedding anniversary, Mike and I jumped out of an airplane.
43. Once I landed, I thought..."Now what?"
44. A few months later I finished my first marathon.
45. Over a year and a half later, I still don't think of myself as a runner.
46. Although I did run track in high school.
47. I blacked out during the final 100 meters of the 800...I was second in the heat at that point. That was the extent of my running career.
48. Maybe that's why speed training on a track intimidates me?
49. Up until 2 days ago, I didn't know that road bikes weren't supposed to have kick stands.
50. The thought of biking on hills makes me queasy...not sure I'll be able to do it very well.
51. The thought of an open water swim in a tri makes me nervous.
52. And the thought of competing with a field of guys in a tri makes me absolutely, positively petrified (hence, why I want to do an the Danskin all-women's Tri).
53. High School was a rather interesting time considering I moved right before my junior year.
54. I was on the forensics (no, not like CSI stuff) team to fulfill a speech class requirement.
55. I ended up placing multiple times with my prose rendition of The True Story of the Three Little Pigs...and took first with at the Shawnee Mission West meet...which advanced me to the state championship meet...where I didn't make it past semi's because it wasn't a "serious piece."
56. Bite me...I'm not a serious person--if you don't take yourself lightly, who will?
57. I was also the design editor on the yearbook staff...where the design went on to win honorable mention at state (yes, they actually have competitions for that stuff).
58. And in high school, all the boys I dated managed to drive some stupid sports car (namely Camaros and Mustangs)...I swear that I always met them and liked them before
I knew what car they drove.
59. I was elated when I fell in love with a guy who drove a Civic (that'd be Mike).
60. I am the queen of procrastination.
61. I am also the queen of jing-a-ling (think of it as my holiday alter ego).
62. I'm bummed about having to take down the Christmas tree...though I know the time is quickly approaching.
63. Right now I'm wearing the same jeans I wore on NYE.
64. I spent 5 minutes dousing them in Febreeze this morning...
65. ...they still have the faint stink of smokey bar on them though.
66. I really couldn't care less...in my book, jeans should be worn a minimum of 3 times before being washed.
67. Same with pajamas.
68. I'm really bad about commenting on other people's blogs...though I am trying to get better.
69. It really bothers me when folks clearly just comment for commentings sake when they obviously haven't read the post.
70. My bloglines shows something ridiculous like 543 unread posts...I blame the new blogger republishing all the old posts. Then again, I try to follow 60-something blogs. But I do play favorites.
71. When I run I often sing the same ten seconds of a random song to myself over and over and over.
72. I can't sing to save my life...although I like to pretend I can. Especially in the car when I'm driving alone.
73. I've known the blogger "Dice
" for about 6 years now.
74. It's my secret hope in life to match two of my friends up in a successful relationship. *cough*
75. In the morning, I hit the snooze button for upwards of 40 minutes.
76. I know it's soooo bad, but I often don't eat breakfast...BAD BARB!
77. I suffer from major
pre-race anxiety. I'm fine for short distances, but anything a half marathon distance or over, I tend to freak out to the point of puking the morning of the race...but if it's just a "long run" I'm okay.
78. Mentally, I can't convince myself that the actual marathon is "just a long run."
makes me want to get a Boston Terrier to keep Phog company while we're gone during the day.
80. I can't cook to save my life...but I am one lean, mean, baking machine.
81. It took my 24 years to realize that I liked celery.
82. That's one of the few veggies that I actually eat when cooked...I prefer my veggies raw.
83. The consistency of mushrooms freaks me out.
84. The feeling of foam makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
85. I loathe doing dishes, but I don't mind scrubbing the bathtub.
86. Grilled peanut butter sandwiches are almost as good as a PB and fluff sandwich.
87. I took a some form of a peanut butter sandwich with me to school just about every day K-12. It's a fabulous sidekick...there's PB&J, PB & Fluff, PB & Banana, PB & Honey, Grilled PB, PB dipped pretzels...and so one...
88. I have managed to completely cut soda from my diet. But every now and then I splurge and have a sip (or gulp) of Mike's...or get myself a glass of ginger ale.
89. I've got some weird funky growth hanging out in my gall bladder.
90. The best fast food comes from Chik-Fil-A...sadly, they don't have them in Chicago.
91. I often worry that I don't have a sub-5:30 marathon in me.
92. My lucky number is 4.
93. When I was a wee one I used to sit on our brick mailbox and wave to the cars as they drove by along with my sister...if they didn't wave back I screamed "party pooper" at them.
94. I know the lyrics to every song by the band sElf
. If you haven't heard of 'em you're really missing out...they even have a song titled Marathon Shirt
. If you haven't heard it, you're missing out.
95. Back in January of '04 my left lung collapsed...a nurse in the ER thought I was faking it.
96. I ruled at faking sick in elementary school to get out of math tests.
97. I've broken my right arm four times and my left arm three times.
98. The week before my college graduation I sprained my ankle at the end of a pub crawl..."walking the hill" (a KU tradition) was quite interesting on crutches.
99. I taught myself to play guitar...although I only know songs by Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead on it.
100. Once upon a time I had a "hippie spirit." In 2007 I'm hoping to find my way back to that mentality.